These are notes from my own study of the timeline of emerging liberation theologies alongside other decolonial projects. It’s a work in progress, helping me to delineate who said what and when, and how the ideas and practice deepened and widened in conversations.
The year 1979.
- Biographical Notes
- Background Information
- Pope John Paul II – “Address to the Indians of Oaxaca and Chiapas” (January 29, 1979)
- Pope John Paul II – General Audience on Evangelization and Liberation (Rome, February 21, 1979)
- Michael Novak – “Liberation Theology and the Pope” (June 1979)
- Bishops of Nicaragua – “Christian Commitment for a New Nicaragua” (November 17, 1979)
- Third General Conference of the Latin American Bishops, Puebla de los Angeles, Mexico, January 27 – February 13, 1979
- EATWOT Conference in Colombo, Sri Lanka